The Correction Facility offers many programs to inmates. The programs, both structured and non-structured, are intended to reduce idleness, encourage productivity and promote a sense of accomplishment.
The Programs Unit is charged with administration of the varied inmate programs. A Programs Officer has direct and daily contact with inmates, facility staff, the public and the staff members of programs that are sponsored by civilian organizations.
The Programs Unit has responsibility over:
Inmate Work Program
- The Unit receives work applications from inmates, signed by the housing unit officers.
- Processes applications using the Jail Management System.
- Checks inmate's classification and behavior during previous incarcerations.
- Forwards approved applications to the Medical Department.
- Notifies, in writing, any inmates who do not meet the work program criteria.
- Notifies Classification, Line Supervisors, and the Property Officer, in writing, of all inmate movement in and out of the worker's housing units.
- Updates all work lists. Distributes new worker lists to worker's housing units, Line Supervisors, Kitchen and other applicable areas. This process is done whenever work applications are received back from the Medical Unit (normally once or twice a week).
Inmate Spiritual Programs (Baptist Services, Catholic Services, Protestant Services, Religious Ministries, Alcoholics Anonymous and Spiritual Renewal Bible Study
- Accepts inmate request forms for placement into program classes. Requests are received Monday through Friday and entered into the programs database. Lists are updated reviewed and distributed on Mondays and Fridays.
Inmate Program Volunteers
- Accepts Volunteer Applications from individuals requesting to enter the facility to provide self help programs, religious programs or other applicable classes.
- Distributes paperwork,(i.e., Background Checks) to applicants. Receives paperwork back and forwards to the proper administrative personnel.
- Acts as a liaison between volunteers, staff and inmates.
- Orientates all new program providers to all applicable facility policies and procedures.
- Maintains list of all volunteers, addresses and phone numbers.
Inmate Program Materials
- Maintains an inventory of all inmate program materials, games, recreational materials, Bibles, etc.
- Submits purchase orders to maintain materials inventory necessary to supply the inmate population.
- When in receipt of requests from housing units, distributes new recreational and free time materials for the inmate population.
- Receives written requests from inmates.
- Fills out facility paperwork with inmate.
- Contacts inmate's fiance to verify information.
- Contacts the Whitestown Clerk's Office with both names of the wedding party.
- Coordinates with all parties, a date and time to sign the Marriage License.
- Notifies Line Supervisors, Watch Commanders, Visitation and Master Control Officers with the date, time and names of all parties involved in the marriage ceremony.
- Receives inmate's written requests for haircuts.
- Submits a list to the Commissary Unit for verification of funds. If inmate does not have sufficient funds they are put on the indigent haircut list.
- Notifies the Facility Barber of the need for barbering services.
- Provides a list of inmates, including locations and Inmate Control Number (ICN), for the barber.
- Upon completion of haircuts, provides a copy of the haircut list to the Commissary Office so funds can be deducted from inmate accounts.
- Once a month, submits a Purchase Voucher with the names of all the inmates who received indigent haircuts, for payment by the county.
- Once a week: obtains new videos for the inmate population to watch.
- Provides a list to the housing units as to the days and times that each unit will receive the video cart.
- Receives requests from outside agencies or individuals for a tour of the facility. Facility tours are done for high school, Boy Scout Troops and college classes. Individual tours are for Scared Straight purposes.
- When all information is collected, Watch Commanders, Line Supervisors and appropriate personnel are notified with the dates, times and names of all individuals entering the facility.
- Receives requests from organizations asking for attendance of an officer for a Career Presentation; for high school or college students.
- Submits written notification to Programs Sergeant with dates and times of presentations.
- Maintains schedules of inmate services; i.e. Laundry Schedules, Blanket Schedules, Linear Recreation Schedules, for posting in each housing unit.