The Records Unit is responsible for the documentation of all legal commitments for each inmate. The records officer’s responsibilities are many:
- Verification of initial commitment order.
- Court appearance date entry.
- Notification of all warrants lodged against inmate.
- Time computations and notification of county sentences (amount of time served and release date).
- Update of charge information after court appearances.
- Process of state prison commitments.
- Process of paperwork for county sentenced inmates applying for conditional release, and forwarding of applications to the Probation Department.
- Process of bails and bonds received at the correctional facility.
- Verification of paperwork prior to an inmate being released from the facility or court. Once a release is confirmed, the records officer “releases” the inmate in the Jail Management System and notifies the appropriate housing unit. The inmate is then released from custody.